freestyle craft

I’m almost done with the first half of a knitting experiment: faux bois fingerless gloves!

I improvised the pattern so the second one should look quite different. I did at least remember to write down things like when and how I made the thumb part so they’ll match in terms of structure but each glove will have a different texture.

OMG! It’s actually finished!

OMG! It’s actually finished!

Here’s what’s currently on my needles. 
On the left is a sweater I’m making myself out of yarn rescued from a cardigan I made last spring that never looked right.
On the right is the back of the child’s sweater that feels like it will never be finished! I’ve been working on it for six long months now. Double-knitting English-style on tiny needles is slow and it also gets pretty painful after a few rows. As I learned continental about a month ago, when I get to the sleeves I’ll probably do the mixed methods version of double-knitting. Hopefully that will be faster and easier on the wrists.

Here’s what’s currently on my needles. 

On the left is a sweater I’m making myself out of yarn rescued from a cardigan I made last spring that never looked right.

On the right is the back of the child’s sweater that feels like it will never be finished! I’ve been working on it for six long months now. Double-knitting English-style on tiny needles is slow and it also gets pretty painful after a few rows. As I learned continental about a month ago, when I get to the sleeves I’ll probably do the mixed methods version of double-knitting. Hopefully that will be faster and easier on the wrists.

While avoiding both work and “work” I made lots of improvements to my knitting color chart maker. It includes quite a few changes - you can set gauge, there is a paintbrush option, an eraser, and an undo button. I think that’s it for version 1.x. Version 2 will likely make it possible to add stitch symbols (increase, decrease, etc) to the printable chart. There might also be a non-Flash/iPhone/iPad-friendly version in the works.

I just uploaded my first ever pattern to Ravelry!

I just uploaded my first ever pattern to Ravelry!

The front of the family crest sweater commissioned for my friend’s son is finally finished.

It’s been driving me crazy because it’s super slow going so I’m taking an extended break. In the meantime I made this:

I’ve done quite a bit of knitting since it became really important for me to concentrate on fellowship applications. This is where I’m at with the family history sweater for my friend’s son. It’s going very well, I think!

I’ve done quite a bit of knitting since it became really important for me to concentrate on fellowship applications. This is where I’m at with the family history sweater for my friend’s son. It’s going very well, I think!

Tiny needles + a minimum of 3 strands of tiny yarn = sloooooow progress. 1 month gone and I’m only a little above the waistband.

Tiny needles + a minimum of 3 strands of tiny yarn = sloooooow progress. 1 month gone and I’m only a little above the waistband.

A friend of mine commissioned me to make a sweater for her toddler. She wants it to have a family coat of arms on the front and lots of little castles (a specific castle that used to be the family seat) around the waistband. Aside from the fact that I’ve never met anyone with a coat of arms and a castle before, the weird thing is I happen to have been to the castle in question on a random driving trip Mikey and I took before we moved to the US.

I’ve finished the castles for the front half and now I’m on to worrying about the coat of arms. It features a shield, a knight, three chess pieces, a leopard swallowing swords, Latin mottos, and some squiggly things that look like wrought iron.

If this works it will be AWESOME.